Tuesday, April 20, 2010

What I took away from Bri and Sam's papers

Well I am slowly working my way through some of the papers and am loving every second of it! Bri's paper was very thoughtful and I absolutely loved the connection between future-time and anxiety, along with past-time and doubt. The part where she talks about our faulty memories, but truthful past experiences got me thinking about the connection between epiphanies and the senses in a more profound manner. If personal history was only left to our memories, well then our histories would merely be imagination. Thank goodness we have our sense's to rely on for a more truthful link to history. For instance, I finally visited the town where I grew up and was able to perfectly recall everything in my childhood because of seeing, smelling, and hearing the mountainous setting of York Montana. I had forgotten so much until that day. I must also put down my favorite sentence(s) from Bri's paper, "Hamlet’s father only asked that his son remember him. This allows Hamlet’s father, a ghost, to forever remain present with Hamlet in the form of a different ghost." A ghost of life, and a ghost of memory. Brilliant!

I also read Sam's blog and was blown away. One could dig around in that paper for a long time and discuss everything that she was talking about and how she was talking about it. When I read fellow student's papers my goal is to always pick out a favorite sentence and to tell the truth, I had a hard time doing so with Sam's paper because I liked so many of them. I did finally choose this one, " And by connecting both literature and life, discovering the never ending cross reference of the world, I think an apocalypse, an awakening, an unexpected Epiphany can erupt." I can't stop thinking about what I know and how interrelated all my thoughts and actions really are. It doesn't take much to transcend from literature to reality and reality to literature. After reading Sam's paper I will always remember that connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment