Monday, April 26, 2010

Inspired by Taylor to once again kick-ass and chew bubble gum!

Taylor's paper has definitely been my most favorite so far. When I was reading her paper I kept having to stop because I was constantly reminded of my own childhood. Fond memories flooded through my mind as I read the fond memories of someone else. I think that is possibly the most fantastic element of Taylor's paper-producing from the depths of my dusty memories a reborn sense of youth. After a while of reading, though, I noticed a transition in my own thoughts that was in tandem with hers (of course since I was under the spell-binding influence of her paper). I kept asking myself where do I go now that I can no longer disappear into the depths of my own imagination. I remember being able to kick imaginary ass for hours by myself. I can't even fathom how many hours of my childhood was spent playing ninjas! And if I tried to do that now, well, it just couldn't happen...But there is hope! My favorite lines in Taylor's paper:

Because it is here, in the still point of the turning world, where the dead return to life and the past’s words are spoken again with a living tongue, where I am a child-woman, where this or that have no secure foothold, and falling deeper down is half of the fun. It is the place for soul’s stillness, the darkness of God coming with a “hollow rumble of wings” (Eliot 115)…it is the garden of Eliot, the lighthouse of Woolf, the darkness of Dillard, the set of Shakespeare, the resting place of Pan and a song echoing in a stairway...it is the waking world and the sleeping dreamer.

Just as I read these lines I realized that my dreams were the place of my own childhood habits where I once again kick ass and chew bubble gum. Taylor helped show me the direct link to my own garden of imagination. Even after reading all the things we did, I still needed her paper to show me the way to the lighthouse, hole in the hedge, the path through the darkness, my own globe, and the resting place to which I will return.

1 comment:

  1. I love bubble gum...especially that old-school Double Bubble that fades in flavor but lingers in pure joy. Also, I still pull out my ninja moves on a regular basis. It freaks out my roommates, I think.

    ReplyDelete