Sunday, April 4, 2010

A small glimpse of my story

For my capstone paper I am going to write a short story, and to be honest I am super scared about it. I haven't ever done something like this in earnest before (I don't think the stories for Keeler count). There is so much that I would love to inject into my story, which will be about what I have noticed and experienced during my life-journey thus far. I think the best way to do this is through a series of journal entries of confessions from the main character. I am still toying with some other methods of storytelling as well, so I will just have to see what happens. So with no further ado here is a little look at what my story will be like:


It happens more often now. I feel a shiver run through my spine and then I am gone. Where I go I can not say, but every time this happens I feel a brief moment of panic, quickly followed by terror and then all is calm. It used to only happen in my dreams, but now I might be walking down the sidewalk, sitting in class, or silently surveying my surroundings. There is always someone with me when I disappear too. Nothing ever remains still enough for me to truly make out the surroundings, but the other person remains steadfast and true to my eyes. I don't know how long I stay in these "other worlds", but when I snap back to "reality" maybe only a few minutes have gone by. I always know the people I meet and they vary from kindness to total brutality. When I confront either my tongue feels swollen and my body stiff. Never-the-less, words are spoken and the events carry on. Last time I met my father and he talked to me about the nature of being a coward. Another time I faced myself-or at least a part of my "self" and came back with a new scar. After every encounter my awareness shifts and I feel an uncanny sense of being pulled away from the world I know, and being displaced in another world. I am Elysian James Eidolon and I think I am losing my mind.

2 comments:

  1. In a less aggressive tone, I agree with Brianne. Your paper (to me) was the most intriguing out of all the presentations I saw, and I am bummed out that it is not on your blog in full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but I do respect brianne's urgency.

    ReplyDelete