Sunday, January 24, 2010

Epiphanies are not to be taken lightly, and not to be forgotten!

This blog is going to be a debate of sorts because there are a few things that I disagree with in relation to Wind and the Willows, and maybe somebody will be kind enough to help me sort them out... or agree with them.

First, I think that there can only be an AH! epiphany. To allow such petty things like -oh- to be allowed to be an epiphany sounds much more like a minor moment of realization or recollection of a temporarily forgotten something or other (of these there seem to be tons in the book for class). I was having a fun debate about the definition of epiphanies, and not surprisingly what came up was the show "House". At first thought we both agreed that this asshole doctor was having an epiphany every time that he "magically" saved the day. But that really made me question what the significance of using the term "epiphany" would be if we allowed thoughts of realizations from rational deduction or induction to be included? It is just like Dr. Sexon said about the word "awesome"; or for instance using the word "genius" to describe something like a pooper scooper or ice cube trays. I understand that the term "epiphany" has come to encompass many things, and despite how I feel about it, I know things won't change. So if we continue to use House as an example, yes I do think that he has really important realizations, but I would not call them epiphanies because there isn't really an magic to his obtainment of knowledge, just trial and error. Thus, reasoning should always come after the experience.

Second, after talking with Tai about this, we feel that the epiphany which was deemed the most important in Wind and the Willows is not in chapter 7 because they DO forget their experience. I think that Kevin would agree with us on this because I doubt he will ever forget his epiphanic experience on that mountain. If anything, people should be changed due to such experiences (doesn't have to be a big change mind you, just an awareness that may have not been as important as before). Personally I feel that Mole's first journey into the woods was the most important epiphany in the story because of how his awareness of the woods brought out a change in his behavior. In other words I feel that epiphanies are learning experiences that induce an acute awareness of thoughts and emotions that are strengthened by the magical and divine presence within that special moment of life, and most certainly not to be forgotten. So when Mole went into the woods all willy-nilly, he experienced the truth of life in its most naked and truthful form...scary, and yet, beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment