Monday, March 22, 2010

Some thoughts about the days

Sometimes being aware of what's going on is just a little too much. Catching never-ending connections is enough to make one go insane. This morning I was talking with my girlfriend about my capstone paper and our conversation included elements of the "ego", fathers, and most importantly understanding that the individual is the only one who can say what he or she is here for. Then going to class and having all of these elements thrown back at me was just crazy! This kind of thing always happens in my Japanese class as well. We will be talking about dark epiphanies and spine tingles and then I will go to my Japanese class and we will talk about things like the term "uncanny", which also appeared today in a vague reference to dark epiphanies existing in obscurity. Obscurities of the things we know should always produce a kind of uncanny feeling...'your hair bristling on your flesh' as described in Bhagavad-Gita.

Let's not forget of course, Hamlet's "remember me" dharma. In the Bhagavad-Gita this appears on page 79 when Krishna says, "A man who dies remembering me at the time of death enters my being." So don't worry Taylor, you would have been okay. Plus 'those who die win heaven and those who live win earth' (37). I absolutely love and respect those kinds of mentalities. I'm sure Tai would agree that they help assuage the angst of life's constant challenges and scary moments (for example our final papers!).

I also appreciated the use of Dharma as a sacred duty aka our papers. I know that this is partly a jest and mostly an exaggerated truth, but using the word dharma in that way made me understand that our dharma is always changing with us. As we move through life we "change and smile; but the agony abides" (Elliot quote). Our agony is our dharma. Even though dharma will have positive moments there will always be future trials of our faith in ourselves and those around us. Thank the kindness of our teachers who are willing to help guide us through our life's dharma. I only can hope that one day I might get to be one of those teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment